Air Source Heat Pumps
How it works
Air source heat pumps absorb heat from the outside air. This heat can then be used to heat radiators, underfloor heating systems and hot water in your home.
An air source heat pump extracts heat from the outside air, very much in the same way that a fridge extracts heat from its inside. Even though you wouldn’t think it, the Heat Pump can get heat from the air even when the temperature is as low as -15° C.
Please watch the attached video for a more detailed explanation of how it all works.
Benefits of air source heat pumps
- You could enjoy lower fuel bills, especially if you are replacing storage heaters & electrical heating
- The UK government’s Renewable Heat Incentive means potential income for you
- If you are replacing a fuel that leaves a big carbon foot print you will lower your home carbon emissions, making your home more environmentally friendly
- In rural areas like the ones surrounding Otter’s head office in Taunton Somerset, fuel deliveries are often needed, the heat pump would eliminate this necessity.
- Will heat your home & your water
- Maintenance is kept to a minimum. An annual service is required to keep the unit in the best condition. This is a service that Otter South West offer.
The Pros & Cons of an Air Source Heat Pump
- Air Source Heat Pumps can provide heating and hot water.
- Air source heat pumps can generate less CO2 than conventional heating systems.
- They require little maintenance.
- You need to use electricity to power the pump, but for every unit of electricity used by the pump, you get between two and three units of heat – making this an efficient way to heat your home.
- They are cheaper than ground source heat pumps and easier to install.
The unit will need space, most are installed in the garden for the external unit, but we can try and accommodate the unit in an outside location that you are happy with. You still need to use electricity to work the pump, this means the air source heat pump wouldn’t be considered completely zero-carbon.
Otter & it’s commitment to Air Source Heating
- Otter invest heavily in training for their Engineers. It is important to them that each Engineer is knowledgable with any new Air Source Heating technology and equipment. All the Engineers attend regular training courses held at various locations, either through a local training centre or the manufactures training centre depending on the course content.
- Otter build strong working relationships with our leading manufactures of heat pumps to ensure the best customer service is given & where any savings can be made we will pass them on to the consumer.
- Since Otter began they have installed hundreds of Air Source Heat Pumps all over the South West.
- Otter are the chosen contractor for the local authority to install Air Source Heat Pumps to many tenants homes.
- Otter provide each local authority tenant with an independent feedback form on the works carried out, these include questions relating to the work force and care taken in their home. Otter South West on average score 29.7 out of a possible total of 30, which is also reflected in the comments we have received;